With this roasted fresh Brussels sprouts smothered in creamy gruyere cheese you’re well on your way to enjoy a delicious vegetable dish.
½ kg Brussels sprouts
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1 large shallot, minced
1 tsp clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp flour
1 ½ cups milk
140 gram Gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200 °C
- Remove dirty outer leaves from Brussels sprouts, cut in half.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil in a large bowl until coated, spread in a single layer on a baking dish.
- Roast the sprouts in pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping them once half way through the cooking time.
Start preparing the cheese sauce about 5 minutes before roasting time for sprouts.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter, add shallot and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook another minute until golden brown.
Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir well and allow cook for a few minutes to develop a roux.
- Add milk and whisk mixture constantly while heating. Allow to thicken, remove from heat and stir in half of the cheese.
Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Transfer sprouts to a 22 cm square baking dish and cover with cheese sauce. Top with remaining cheese and return to oven until cheese has fully melted (about 5 minutes).
Click here for the original recipe.