Your search for the perfect homemade biscuits ends here.
Crumbly Butter Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup cultured butter, room temperature (to linked to kefir butter recipe)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup demerara sugar, for rolling
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Use an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to beat the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy in texture and light in colour.
- Once butter and sugar are mixed, add the egg yolk and beat with electric mixer until combined.
- Turn the electric mixer down to a lower setting and gradually add in the flour mixture.
- On a clean surface, divide dough in two and roll each ball into a log, 4cm thick.
- Cover a piece of parchment with demerara sugar and roll the cookie dough logs in the sugar until they are both thoroughly coated. (Once this is complete, cookie dough can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerated until you are ready to bake).
- Once you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 165C/325F and line two baking trays with baking paper (alternatively, you can use butter to grease the pan and prevent the biscuits from sticking to it).
- While the oven heats up, use a sharp knife to cut your cookie dough logs into 0.6cm thick biscuits. Place the biscuits on the baking tray, with 2,5cm between each biscuit.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until edges and bottoms turn golden brown.
- Remove biscuits from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray before moving them to a wire rack to cool down further.
You can either serve your biscuits once they have cooled down or place them in a covered container at room temperature to keep fresh for future teatimes.
Original recipe from Epicurious