Everybody loves a good tasty Greek treat, so here at Finest Kind we’re always on the lookout for ways everyone can get their slice of the pie with delicious recipes. So don’t mind getting your hands busy with this easy to prepare Spanakopita from Food24.
- 1 onion, chopped.
- 30ml olive oil.
- 1kg spinach, rinsed and trimmed.
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled.
- 150ml fromage frais cheese.
- 3 eggs, whisked.
- 15ml finely chopped dill.
- 10ml finely chopped oregano.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry, cut in half.
- 100 butter, melted, OR olive oil.
- Stir-fry the onion in the 30 ml olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Steam the spinach until wilted. Drain, squeezing out any excess liquid.
- Chop finely, add the onion, feta and cream cheese, eggs, dill, oregano, salt and pepper, and mix.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 26 x 20 x 5 cm oven pan and line it with a half sheet of phyllo pastry.
- Brush with the melted butter (or olive oil) and place another half sheet of phyllo pastry on top. Repeat until you have five half sheets of phyllo pastry.
- Spread the spinach mixture on top and cover with seven layers of phyllo pastry, each brushed with melted butter or olive oil, including the top of the last layer.
- Tuck in the edges of the pastry to cover the filling and sprinkle the top with a little water.
- Bake at 190 °C for about 40 minutes or until light brown. Cut into squares and serve.
Now that you have triumphed in the kitchen, have a look at how you can make the cheesy bit of your recipes from scratch.